Friday, July 11, 2008

"Desensitize ..."

The term “Desensitize” is used frequently in horse training methods. The practice of desensitizing a horse has some logic to it. Get a horse used to things that scare it so it won’t spook. This is for the safety of humans as well as the safety and well being of the horse.

Nonetheless, I don’t like the word or, in many cases, how desensitizing is practiced. To be clear, it’s not the basic concept of overcoming fear to which I object. It’s the method that often disturbs me.

I have some experience with a “spooky” horse. My mare, Tansy, has phobias: plastic of any kind, strange objects and odors near her face, and horse trailers, to name a few. I don’t see these fears as problems but rather personality quirks. I have a deep compassion for Tansy, understanding that she was mistreated in her earlier years, long before she came into my life. I’ve come to the conclusion that most of her fears were instilled in her by harsh/abusive training methods.

I have my own fears, like any human. I consider how I overcome them when I work with Tansy. For instance, I don’t like to be forced into something that makes me feel frightened. Does anyone? This doesn’t mean that I can’t face my fears. It doesn’t mean that Tansy can’t face hers. Again, it’s the method that concerns me.

One “tried and true” desensitizing method involves a process called “sacking out.” This term covers a lot of ground, dealing with many fear issues that horses have. Depending on the horse and the situation and the awareness of the trainer, it can be effective. Done in the wrong way with the wrong horse ... well, it's an emergency room visit waiting to happen.

Essentially, you rub an item all over the horse until it stops reacting negatively. This can be something to which the horse has shown little or no fear, or it can be a particularly objectionable item. A plastic bag, for example, can be tied to the end of a lunge whip. The idea is to touch the horse repeatedly with the plastic until it stops shying away.

I tried this method with Tansy. I was told by “experts” that this would alleviate her fears, and I followed directions for doing it “correctly.” I’ve apologized to her ever since. It was torture. She stood in one place, just like the instructions said she would. But she shook from head to toe and eyed me in abject terror. When I moved the stick with the plastic bag onto the ground in front of her, she snapped. I dropped the stick and backed away. Tansy proceeded to “kill” the plastic bag, snorting in rage and pawing it into the ground. Then she glared at me and trotted away.

I’ve never attempted this again, nor will I.

Some horse owners wouldn’t accept her behavior. They’d be furious with her. They’d think she’s rude and uncooperative. I’m weird, I guess. I was actually proud of her for stomping the demonic plastic bag into the ground. After the initial surprise of her enraged reaction, I completely understood. I thought, “You go, girl!” She stood up for herself. Isn’t that what I want for myself? For my kids? For my clients?

Think about it. An abused horse is something like a rape victim. Would you force sex on a rape victim until she gets used to it and stops resisting? Or would you respect where that person is, in the moment, and take small steps toward gaining trust? Could you accept that some wounds never mend and be OK with that?

In speaking to more humane trainers I’ve gained a valuable perspective on desensitizing. A good friend pointed out that we all have fears, rational and irrational. She specifically mentioned a fear of spiders. Now, if I were terrified of spiders, how would I feel if some one kept sticking them in my face? The more I object, the more spiders are put in my face. Eventually I might numb out completely and quit resisting. I might completely dissociate. Torture methods often have that effect. I might get used to spiders being in my face, but I would still be scared. I might shut down, but that’s not the same as truly facing and overcoming a fear. A shut down horse is dangerous, just as a shut down human is. Eventually anyone who is numb or repressed can snap. Think the cliché “postal workers.”

Do I overcome my fears because some one forces me? Or do I face the fear on my own terms with the support of some one I genuinely trust? I think the distinction is clear.

So, we work at a slower pace. I don’t “desensitize.” In fact, I admire sensitivity in my horse friends. Instead, I attempt to “accustom.” I introduce things to Tansy, trying not to assert pressure but offering support. I see how much she can handle and try not to overwhelm her.

It’s not a quick fix. It wouldn’t make a good demonstration for a natural horsemanship clinic. But to me, it’s not as important to have a “perfect” horse as a sane one.

No comments: